Gillies and Farrell Masonry Limited were appointed main contractor
to carry out a full restoration on Largo & Newburn Parish Church.
The works carried out were predominately masonry related with a full
repoint of traditional lime mortar and the removal of cement render
from the chancel to expose the original stonework, with numerous
stone indents required to the chancel. A church has been on this
prominent site in Upper Largo for over 500 years. The church as it
appears today dates mainly from 1817 to designs by Alexander Leslie,
who incorporated part of the 17th century Chancel and the tower
dated 1623 to create a cruciform building. An overhaul was carried
out on the slate roof with some areas of lead work required. The
weather vane was overhauled and re-gilded and redecoration of cast
iron rainwater goods and timber doors were carried out.