St. Saviour’s Episcopal Church is a Category B Listed building built in 1857 by Architect John Henderson and later enlarged in 1871 by Architect Alexander Ross. It is of Gothic style with tall roof and a belfry. The west window was designed by Robert Anning Bell of Stephen Adam Studios.
Scope of Works
Gillies & Farrell Masonry Ltd., were contracted by Tina Avery, Conservation Architect to undertake conservation works to the fabric of the church. The works carried out on the external fabric were hydraulic lime mortar pointing, stone indenting, two new stone crosses and apex stones were carved in house by award winning Director Colum Farrell. The roof was stripped and re-slated with new Cwt-y-bugail (Welsh slate). New lead watergates were installed and the cast iron rainwater goods were replaced and redecorated to the architect’s specification. The church bell which had not rung for over thirty years was restored and brought back into service. Structural timber work was required to the Chancel roof with sympathetic repairs carried out. Internal works consisted of redecoration, new flooring, new toilet facilities, kitchenette and additional storage facilities. Funding for this project was given by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The works were ongoing for six months.